It’s that time of year when the air is getting crisper. The leaves are changing to brilliant colors. Your new season to make an impact of your healthy living goals is here! Take it up a notch.
You probably have been working to really have a healthy body especially during summer. But now you are dragging.
Desire to be supported and encourage by other like-minded women? Join us at Women of IMPACT. http://facebook.com/groups/thewomenofimpact
Some of those reasons come from the shift of your schedule and the sun. Daylight is becoming limited and that drives us to not want to (or feel like) do as much. We are already beginning to hibernate.
If you are wanting to keep away that extra hibernation comfort fat, it’s time to take it up a notch.
And you start with your fitness! Change up what you are doing.
FOR ALL EXERCISES (even the ones you are currently performing): Be sure you are always keeping your shoulders back and down. Knees soft (no locking the knees). Core engaged (abdominals and glutes tight). Tuck under at your hip to protect your back.
RUNNER: Incorporate some weight training into your routine. You can add these simple exercises to the end of your run.
- Walking lunges – Keep your feet spread wide performing a deeper lunge, never allowing your knee to go over your foot.
- Squat with overhead press – Do a squat and at standing, press your hands & arms over your head. You do not need weights to do this.
STRENGTH TRAINING: Maybe you enjoy weight training, but don’t really like cardio. Take it up a notch by…
- Walking daily – Start at 20 minutes everyday and increase it to 1 hour a day. And that includes non-strength training days.
- Alternate running and walking – Run for 10 minutes, walk for 10 minutes. You can slowly increase your time where you are running only, with a walk for a cool down. Please only run every other day. Walking can be done on a daily basis.
BEGINNING: You might be grumbling at me because you want to be healthier, but it hasn’t been a priority. That’s ok. Start today. Take A.I.M. (action ignites motivation). Perform each exercise for 1 minute each (rest when you need to during that minutes), then repeat the entire SET of exercises. Do this 4-6 times depending on your time available.
- Planks (wall/floor)
- Leg Kickbacks – Focus on tightening of the glutes. This is not a large movement. Very isolated movement.
- Squats – Do NOT do these if you have knee problems!!! Knee should not go over your knee.
- Hip Thrusters – Lay down on your back. Raise your glutes in the air, pushing your hips upward toward the ceiling. Squeeze your glutes while keeping your core, shoulders and back in proper form.
- Jumping jacks – You can use walking jacks if you have knee issues.
FYI….You walk about 2,000 steps per mile (depending on your stride). So in order to walk 10,000 steps, you would be walking 5 miles. If you desire to be at your optimum health level, you need to be intentionally moving for 10,000 steps above what you normally move.
The K.I.S.S. ~ Take it up a notch!
You can continue to shape your body when you take it up a notch. If you want to get a different result, you must take it up a notch.
Join in the conversation: What exercises are you focusing on to keep you happy and healthy? Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
You want to level up your health. Let’s work together and find the power of simplicity for you. The HAPPY HEALTHY STRATEGY SESSION. This is a FREE 20-minute call where you discuss a your story and figure out how to jumpstart your healthy lifestyle. We will break it down and focus on 3 fast action strategies that will springboard you to the next step. Let’s do this together!
Music by Mandisa – Overcomer
Cover Art by Jenny Hamson