One way to enhance your health and well-being is intermittent fasting. But is intermittent fasting good for you?
Depending on who you ask, you will get mixed reviews and opinions. Regardless of what you think of fasting, let’s look at the facts. This way, you can make the decision whether or not you want to give it a try.
Desire to be supported and encourage by other like-minded women? Join us at Women of IMPACT. http://bit.ly/WomenofIMPACT
What is intermittent fasting?
Intermittent fasting is a timed pattern of when you eat verses when you fast.
An example is consuming all your food within a 12 hour period, and then fasting until your next meal.
There are evidence-based benefits to intermittent fasting.
- Insulin levels drop and human growth hormone increases. Your cells initiate important cellular repair processes and change which genes they express. (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
- You will eat fewer calories since you are fasting, and will boost metabolism. It’s an effective tool to lose weight and to lose visceral fat (belly fat). (9, 10, 11, 12, 13)
- Reduces insulin resistance and lower blood sugar levels, especially in men. (12, 13, 14)
- Reduces oxidative damage and inflammation in the body. This benefits against aging and development of numerous diseases. (14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
- Improve numerous risk factors for heart disease such as blood pressure, cholesterol levels, triglycerides and inflammatory markers. (12, 20, 21, 22, 23)
- Fasting triggers a metabolic pathway which removes waste material from cells (autophagy). (7, 24, 25, 26)
- Shown to help prevent cancer in animal studies. One paper on humans showed the reduction of side effects caused by chemotherapy. (27, 28, 29, 30, 31)
- Shows important benefits for brain health increases levels of a brain hormone called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) (32, 34, 35, 36), a deficiency implicated in depression and various other brain problems. It may increase growth of new neurons and protect the brain from damage. (33, 37)
- Studies show may be protective against neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease. (38, 39, 40, 41)
- Expand your life and help you live longer. (42, 43, 44)
The K.I.S.S. ~ Implement intermittent fasting!
Understand this is a choice, a personal choice. If you are 100% against it, then don’t do it for you. However, being able to understand the benefits to intermittent fasting might be something to give it a shot.
If you are going to try intermittent fasting, be sure to check with your physician and/or medical care provider before starting any fitness or nutrition plan.
*** HYDRATE while fasting!!!
- Start slow! Do the dinner to breakfast, or dinner to lunch intermittent fasting. (12 hours to 16+ hours). Plan it out.
- How do you feel during and after the fast (clarity, energy, sleep, focus)?
- If you are feeling sick to your stomach, nauseous, or light-headed, then go ahead and eat. If you are wanting to try and push through, eat a half of apple and 10-12 almonds.
- 24 hour intermittent fast (1 full day). Dinner to dinner. Or breakfast to breakfast.
- 2 day intermittent fasting (48 hours of not eating).
Let me know if you try intermittent fasting and how it works for you. If you have questions, feel free to set up a complimentary coaching call TAKE A.I.M. ~ Action Ignites Motivation.
“Train for life. Love your journey.”
TAKE A.I.M. ~ Action Ignites Motivation – This is a complimentary (FREE) coaching call with me. You will be able to discuss your specific situation and gain tools and strategies to move you forward.
Live. Love. IMPACT!
“One step at a time leads to miles of greatness!”
Subscribe to Create Your Now TV on YouTube.
Wanting help with goals, setting your schedule, or need someone to talk to (even if you don’t know what you need)? It’s time you TAKE A.I.M. ~ Action Ignites Motivation. This is FREE for you. Stop trying to do it by yourself. Put YOU first! Become your best selfie so you can live your life’s purpose.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Ready to shine your light and tell your story. Please click on MY STRENGTH IS MY STORY. Here you can submit yourself to appear on the podcast or make recommendations as who you would like to hear. This is going to be a beautiful series!
Subscribe to Create Your Now TV on YouTube.
Listen to Create Your Now on Spotify.
The Create Your Now Archives are LIVE!! You can subscribe and listen to all the previous episodes here. http://bit.ly/CYNarchive1 and http://bit.ly/CYNarchive2 and http://bit.ly/CYNarchive3 and http://bit.ly/CYNarchive4
Contact me at YourBestSelfie@CreateYourNow.com
Music by Mandisa – Overcomer
Cover Art by Jenny Hamson
Photo by Michael Mroczek on Unsplash